Angioplasty Patients: do you have an interesting story to post about your experience?

Responses:

• I was fortunate enough to have angioplasty performed by Dr. Spencer King at Emory University in 1985. At the time, I was a Captain with Eastern Airlines. The stress of the airline being taken over by Frank Lorenzo and a truly uncertain future, caused the left anterior descending artery in my heart to become virtually completely blocked. The reason that event didn't kill me was I had been running 6 miles a day for some years. The collateral circulatory system in my heart, built up by years of running, carried me through the event with no heart damage.

The big problem with angioplasty is not the procedure, but fear. Men tend to feel that they are indestructible. When an important part of our body malfunctions, it drives a knife into the very essence of the macho image we have of ourselves. That in turn brings on denial and fear.

A renowned plastic surgeon acquaintance called me and asked me to call a friend of his who was about to undergo angioplasty. His friend was in such a state of fear that he checked himself out of the hospital just prior to having the procedure done. A cardiovascular time bomb just waiting to go off.

The cure for the fear all of us, who have undergone angioplasty, feel is of course knowledge and understanding of the procedure. I commend Dr. King and his staff at Emory University in the strongest terms for alleviating my apprehension of having angioplasty done. Perhaps, as a pilot, I have an interest in things technical. I actually watched several television monitors displaying my procedure as it took place. I felt no apprehension whatsoever and found the procedure absolutely fascinating to watch. Without the knowledge Dr. king and his staff prepped me with prior to the procedure, My outlook and perhaps the outcome of the procedure might have been quite different.
Harv LaFollette, Chesterland, Ohio, USA, November 8, 1997

• Hi! I am a nurse working with patients status post PTCA. I noticed that some patients cannot stick with the post procedure instructions, s.a. to be flat in the bed for a couple of hours, not to move the affected leg and not to touch the dressing or the femoral stop. Some patients are very nervous about the length of bed rest, or about the fact that they have to use a catheter for urination. They claim that the doctor never told them about this kind of regimen. Some of them are very annoyed that I have to check the affected groin very often or that I have to monitor their vital signs. They pretend that nobody told them about the medical care following the PTCA. My goal is to make my patients cooperate and collaborate with me. We can better identify any complications if the patient is calm and self-aware about what s/he feels afterwards. If any anxiety is sensed I try to identify it and provide my patients with the missing information using a very calm tone of the voice and a lot of reassurance.
Mihaela Marinescu, St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, New York, USA, July 10, 1998

• I had a 95% block in the LAD. I did not have a heart attack and I am told I have no heart damage. I had a stent placed. I had the surgery at 1PM and was home the next morning. I went to the doctor for my first check up and he did an EKG. He said it looked OK and I should have a series of stress tests in the next few weeks. I had the first stress test and the nurse said it looked OK. She talked to the doctor and he increased my medicine. No-one said why. I am not allowed to work or do anything except walk around the house. It has been three weeks since the procedure. I know people that have had heart damage and been back to work in a week. My question is why am I taking so long? Is it possible the doctor is not telling me everything? Please respond, my wife and I are really nervous about the length of time it is taking, mainly because there was no damage.
Salvatore, New York, USA, October 28, 1998

• I am a 48 year old male professor at a university. I had angioplasty done on my left circumflex coronary artery a week back. A 3mm by 13mm stent was placed at the spot of the 90% blockage. I would like to know from others who have undergone this procedure as to what their post-procedure week was like. Was there any pain or discomfort of any kind in the chest? At times, I have felt sharp but mild pain in the upper left chest area. It lasts for a few seconds. As I have also started to learn to play guitar in this post-angioplasty period, which means my left arm, hand, and fingers are being used in unusual way, there is a certain soreness and muscular-joint pain in the shoulder and lower arm area. Could it be that this left-arm discomfort is being caused by the heart? How can one differentiate between the two causes?
Aura Syed, Northern Michigan University, Michigan, USA, March 6, 1999

• Is it common for one to experience fatigue and a very tired feeling in the days after an angioplasty? My 75 year old mother had the procedure done 5 days ago. I guess we expected almost immediate surge of energy, but Mom gets pretty tired. I am wondering if this is normal. She has no other illnesses.
Leslie Welden, Bellingham, Washington, USA, October 17, 1999

• Having had angioplasty and a stent implanted 10 days ago, I have the same concerns as does Aura Syed. I too have experienced very minor discomfort in the chest area with an occasional sharp pain in the chest when for example I reach quickly for something. I've heard from a couple of people that have had this procedure that they experience no discomfort at all. This of course is allowing my imagination to run wild. My senses tell me that with 10 days of this, if something was wrong it would have increased in intensity, which it hasn't. But then I think, why doesn't it go away, If there was bruising or something of that sort, shouldn't it have healed enough by now to alleviate these symptoms? For three or four days prior to my procedure I felt great and expected to feel better yet afterwards. Very disappointing. My doctor is very hard to speak with, but tomorrow I will become insistent. His office tells me everyone is different and I should give it more time. Time for what. Regardless, I would rather hear directly from my doctor than office personnel.
Gary Harris, Virgina, USA, October 24, 1999

• Hi Everyone: My sister had an angioplasty done on Friday and return to work on today, Monday, with no recuperation. Please let me know if this is normal, for I'm very worried about her. She also had a heart attack 2 yrs. ago. What was your recuperation period if any. Please let me know, I'm so worried that she's working too hard.
Vickie Scott Weed, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, October 25, 1999

• Had angioplasty and stent 6 months ago in 95% blocked LAD and have been doing great since then. I vigorously exercise for an hour 5 days a week, cholesterol is incredibly low. Anyone know how long stent and angioplasty can last?
no name given, November 6, 1999

• I am 54 yrs, male, live in Jakarta, Indonesia. After having angioplasty my doctor said I can do light excercises, such as walking, whenever I feel fit to do so. One week after the angioplasty then I started walking. I felt warm/hot inside my chest. Then I report to my doctor, he said that I had too much lying down resting. The following days I continued walking again. There is an uphill street, about 25 meters high and 40 degree slope, I walked, then I felt so hot in my chest but kept continue walking because I said to myself "This is only because too much lying down resting". But at the top of the street I felt very exhausted and having cold sweat. For one week I felt discomfort on my chest and difficult to sleep. Then I saw the doctor and he asked me to make treadmill test. The test result is not good because the same hot chest was felt again after 3 minutes testing and then stopped. The conclusion was I had ischemia myocard. Now the doctor ask me to have another catheterization again to find out what went wrong. What I learned from this is that whenever you start feeling discomfort with your chest, although the doctor is very optimistic about your condition, never continue whatever activity you are doing at that time. Hope this information useful to other people too.
Umar Abubakar, Jakarta, INDONESIA, November 23, 1999

• I had my AP done on 11/15/99 by Dr. Levine at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, CA. I was watching the procedure on the monitor, and, obviously, it was quite fascinating. I was home the next day, with instructions not to resume an exercise program for four weeks. So far, the healing has been progressing as expected - no pain, no lumps and only mild discoloring of the groin area. There have been no chest pains whatsoever, and, a week following the discharge, I am back to almost normal work regime.
Eric Forster, Los Angeles, CA, USA, November 24, 1999

• I have had seven angioplasties with a stent in the LAD that had to have restenting two years later, in other words the second stent was placed inside of the first stent. The reason was that the first stent was a Johnson & Johnson and was actualy two stents in one with a bridge joining the two together in a curve in the artery. This caused a build up of deposits and thus blockage. My doctor used a high speed diamond drill to remove the plaque and then restented with a NIR stent that was one unit, so far it has done very nice. I had the restenting performed at The Texas Heart Institute in Houston by Dr. Emerson Perin. I have to go this Jan. to have an angiogram for blockage in the right cornary. I will use Dr. Perin again.
Roger Murray, Cleveland, Texas, USA, January 2, 2000

• Three weeks ago today I saw my internist for indigestion. I mentioned being a little winded while walking fast, uphill. Two weeks ago today I had a cath showing blockage in two areas. My only previous cath was in 1993 showing some blockage in one spot. One week ago today I spent 3.5 hours on the table with stents, plaque removal by a drill, and a balloon used on two spots. Thank goodness for the Foley which if you don't watch out can become pleasantly habit forming. I went home the next morning, went to the office for an hour in the afternoon, and worked a full day the next day. My breathing is not as heavy. I have a slight pain in my chest occasionally. My groin area bruises are clearing up. I have no problems walking around the block. I have a treadmill in two weeks. I feel good. The Rex Hospital nurses were all super. Dr. Nutt was tremendous. I feel like I have hit the long ball and missed the big heart attack my father had when he was 41. I am now 51 and plan to keep avoiding the big one. Spread the word: go to your cardiologist early and often.
Paul Carruth, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, February 29, 2000

• Anybody ever had a catheterization in the 60's? I remember it was a bad experience- the table I was on went upside down for quite sometime, not a whole lot of fun. Going for an angiogram Wednesday, 3/22/00. Does this procedure hurt as much as a cath? Thanks?
Pat Jennings, Chicago, Illinois, USA, March 19, 2000

My mother-in-law had a angioplasty (cut away the hardened plaque) and stent in March. In August, the procedure was repeated with a balloon, because tissue had invaded the stent. She is experiencing pain and taking nitroclycerine tablets the first week after the procedure. She is 79, worried, and in distress. She also takes medications, including one to prevent the return of breast cancer--some cause nausea. There was no diet prescribed aside from a note in the release papers to follow a low cholesterol diet. Why is there so much pain when the blockage should be gone? Should she be exercising or resting? What medications react with each other? Should she cease the anti-cancer medications until her heart is stabilized? Is a small glass or two of wine acceptable under these conditions and medications? There really need to be some general guidelines and expected resulting physical conditions in writing for patients and their families to refer to. Any input would be appreciated.
C. Curtis, 10 Aug 2000

Hi All. Just had my 11th PTCA and have 8 stents and only 38. I wish I could only have had no caths but it happened. Yes it's frustrating but I'm at the mercy of My body. It seems that my body wants to attack itself. The best that I can do is prolong the cath's with proper diet and exersize. If any one can help let me know.
David Zemaitis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 23 Dec 2000

I had angioplasty in mid October. A stent was placed in one artery and a balloon in the other. Five days later I experienced the same severe chest pain that moved into the left arm and jaw. After being rushed to the hospital, the Cardiologist performed another angioplasty with the results that I would have to undergo a quadruple by-pass. After that procedure we were told that the stent and balloon were by-passed - therefore everything should be corrected. Last week, two months later, I began experiencing severe pain - so intense and frequent one night that the only medication that would work fast was nitro. A non-invasive X-ray done 3 days ago shows that there is a problem in the area of the stent. So, another angioplasty has been scheduled. Has anyone had a similar experience? This is so frustrating and disheartening since I really believed the by-pass had cured all my ills.
D. Brooks, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 23 Dec 2000

I had an angioplasty and stents placed in a 90% and 70% blockage in the intermediate circumflex artery. Do these procedures always fail over time and is it always necessary to have these procedures repeated?
Linda Little, , Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA, 4 Jan 2001

My 88 yr old mother has had four angioplasty procedures with the placement of a stint within a stint on the same coronary artery in less than a year - the physician states he cannot do a bypass mainly because of mitral valve stenosis - does anyone have any ideas about this? She does fine for about three or four months and then it seems to close off - she is a very active individual. Thanks.
JKMerriman, , Lakewood, Colorado, USA, 14 Jan 2001

I had an ACS Multilink stent put inside my left anterior escending artery, on 1/15/99(3 x 23mm.). Anyone familiar with this? I have been exercising steadily, 2 to 3 days a week at a gym, after attending a cardio-rehab program at the hospital. Currently, I play ice hockey one day a week and take a 40 minute brisk walk 5 days a week. I seem to be doing well. I take lipitor, toprol, isosorbide, and norvasq, but I would like to get my doctor to start to reduce this medication. Anyone taking these and / or gone through the same procedures?
B. Cunningham, , Canton, Massachusetts, USA, 1 Mar 2001

• Actually an angiogram and a catheterization are different terms for the same procedure -- but I sincerely hope the table doesn't go upside-down! Technology has changed quite a bit since then. Good luck on your test.
Forum Editor, PTCA.ORG, March 19, 2000

I'm M, 50 & had cath/stent done about a month ago at Morristown Mem. Hosp. in NJ. I can't say enough good things about the folks there - they are an outstanding group, and made a potentially scary situation go incredibly smoothly. Not only were they knowledgable and sensitive, they even managed to find a Faith Hill CD to play while the procedure was performed! It turned out I had a 90%+ blockage of the LDA. Since then, the follow-up nuclear stress test shows normal flow, function well into the normal range & no muscle damage. I'm anxious to get started with the rehab program. I'd just like to respond to Nurse Marinescu's post above. I guess there are always going to be some people who are unhappy with whatever treatment they receive, unfortunately. But as for me, my hat is off to you. The Foley that my O/R nurse hooked up for me was a great kindness indeed (really)! As for the frequent inspection of the insertion site, ok, it might be a nuisance if you're dozing off, but hey, it's also very comforting to know that someone cares enough to keep on top of the situation. Any of us who have been through the procedure are aware (or at least should be) of just how important our care-givers were, and I'm grateful.
Frank Fecher, Long Valley New Jersey, USA, 27 Mar 2001

I am a 31 year old female who underwent cardiac ablation surgery in 1999, a complication of this surgery was the stenosis of my pulmonary vein. About one year after surgery I started becoming short of breath and had chest pains. Upon a CT scan and Chest X-ray, the doctors noticed that I had about 15 lesions in the upper chamber of my lung. We then did a biopsy and discovered that the vein was closed, and a bloot clot had formed. My question to you is, there is a new procedure angioplasty then inserting a stent in the pulmonary vein. There is not a lot of info. on this procedure. I have spoken with a pedatric cardiologist at CHKD in VA and he has performed the surgery once and is ready to do it again. I am scared becuase, I jumped in with the cardiac ablation and ended up with this. HELP, I just need to know where to go to get info on this procedure.
Ann Marie Webb, Norfolk, Virginia, USA, 2 Jul 2001

I had 70% blockage. The stent saved my life.North Shore Hospital has extremely competent nurses and Doctors. My stay was for 3 days.I was not told to follow any particular diet, however I am on a no fat low fat program.
Anne F.Levine, , Neponsit,New York 11694, 30 Sep 2001

Hi! I had angioplasty with installed stents last week on three 90% blockages. My question: why aren't we allowed to receive morphine or other painkiller during the operation? I suffered a lot.
François Faucher, Montréal, Québec, Canada, 15 Oct 2001

I had angioplasty in Oct. 2001. I developed an hematoma which was horrible. My whole leg turned purple and my stenting ws put off 4 weeks,so I could heal. I had the stenting and bruised again and now I have to have another surgery next week because I have a huge swollen ball on my hip which will not go down, as a result of stenting. Has anybody else experienced this? Please email me.
Tracy Richardson, Texas, USA, 7 Dec 2001

Hi, I am a 25 year old female who is recovering from an angioplasty procedure done about 5 days ago. I was born with a congenital condition which is called coarctation of the aorta, which was repaired during surgery when I was 5 years old. I had re-stenosis of the artery, which is common once a person gets older, usually in the 20's, and my doctor recommended angioplasty with an aortic stent placement. Everything went really well and the entire experience wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. (yup, I had general anesthesia, bladder catheters, bed pans, lying flat on my back for a good 8-10 hours, nurses checking me a million times an hour, etc. All of this is a really annoying but they are just making sure that you are ok.) I also had alot of discomfort which goes along with a procedure of this nature. I had saved myself alot of worrying and grief by reading as much as I possibly could about the procedure online, and asked my doctor anything I could think of that I was concerned of, and this really helped alot when I was going through all of it. I went into the hospital at 6am in the morning and went home the next day after noon and I am doing very well. I had trouble walking during the first day or two of coming home, and slept for like 2 days straight, but am feeling alot better now and am going back to work tomorrow. I still have alot of brusing and some slight pain in my groin and thigh area, but most of the discomfort has gone away. I really recommend that people who are going to undergo any kind of angiplasty procedure to find out as much as they possibly can before they have it done, so they definitely know what to expect. I did and it helped me so much. I hope that writing this response helps somebody out there who has to deal with this procedure. Thanks! :)
Carla, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 9 Dec 2001

Had two stents inserted in Right Coronary Artery in May 98. No problems. Also suffer from COPD. Had angioplasty in Dec 2000 to open same area-restenosis.Three weeks later went to pulmonologist and lung function was down from 51% to 39% over past year. Is this related to stenosis or angioplasty?
Jerry D. Lewis, Jayco, Inc, Shallotte, NC 28459 USA, 2 Feb 2001

Had angioplasty one month ago at the age of 62. Previously I never been an inpatient and considered as reasonably healthy. Had pain around my heart and failed the stress test. Naturally felt apprehension on the day before the operation. To look back I prepared myself pretty well knowing what to expect through reading various forums in the net. The actual "operation" took just about one hour and was able to sight the 99% blockage on the video afterwards and wondered how I could have survived before if it were not for my previous quarterly check-up. I was not aware of the insertion through the groin and even asked the doctor when he would start after the operation was completed. The burdensome part was thereafter having to lie flat for eight hours and not allowed to move on your right leg. Fortunately I was well prepared for this eventuality in listening to my cd's which were previously bought and never had time to listen to. Both the doctor and the nurses! were quite surprised with the light classical music blaring in the room which made that eight hours just bearable. I adhered to all the instructions and able to recover pretty quickly after two days though feeling physically weak for a week. Thereafter have been feeling great in breathing fully, no longer grasping for air or having headache and my face seems to be flushing all the time. Now I am surfing through the net for information on the 20% chance of restenosis (close up through thrombosis) and ways to avoid this chance. So far the gathered information has not been that great but comforting to know so many who have gone through more than one angioplasty and also the new stent (not yet well tested) that could reduce the chance to zero. I hope by the time I need another angioplasty the new revolutionary stent is recommended for general use. I am ever grateful to those who wrote and shared their experience with the sufferers. It means so much to all of us when facing with this uncertainty. My doctor was great on his technical know-how but short on bedside manner. I still remember after the treadmill test he pronounceed loudly (perhaps with pride) that I am a cardiac victim and was stared at by four nurses as a strange creature. At that moment I felt ashamed on being highlighted and the whole world turned upside down. Fortunately Iam an experienced net surfer -- with the knowledge gathered from various websites, I didn't see the news as that bad and helped to soften the doctor's blow immensely.
Aileen, Ek-Siriwit Company Limited, Bangkok, Thailand, 31 Dec 2001

add your response
Please keep your posting concise. For readability we limit responses to 1,200 characters. Also note that The Forum is not an "ask-a-doctor" service; we do not dispense medical
advice about a patient's specific situation. Read our disclaimer and note that no information
on this Forum should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation
with a medical doctor
: characters left

Forum name -- how do you want to be identified on your post (Required) your email address (Required):
email address must be current and valid; if email sent to the address
below is returned, your comments will not be posted; your email address
will not be displayed on the Forum unless you specifically request it: please enter your email address again (for verification)
geographic location (city, state, province and/or country -- Required):
REQUIRED -- Check the box below to let us know you are a "real human being" and not a spambot. You must check this box for your posting to be submitted: I am a real person and not a spambot The following information is optional. your name:

your organization:
Check the box below if you wish Angioplasty.Org to "anonymize" your posting (for example, John Doe, Baltimore, Maryland, USA would become John D., Maryland, USA): please anonymize me To submit your post, please click the button below once and wait for a confirmation.
Clicking more than once will result in multiple submissions.

Please note the following disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is accurate to the best of the knowledge of Angioplasty.Org. None of this information should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation with a medical doctor. It is highly recommended that readers discuss any advice with a medical doctor before deciding on a course of action. Angioplasty.Org or its producers assume no liability for any actions taken as a result of information contained on this site, whether implied or expressed. Opinions and recommendations expressed on the FORUM are solely those of their authors. All submissions are reviewed and posted at the editors' discretion. FORUM submissions that are primarily commercial in nature, advertising services or products, are not posted. Any medical advice expressed on the FORUM does not necessarily represent the views of Angioplasty.Org, its producers, or of anyone associated with it, or of others appearing on this web site. Please note that this is a moderated discussion, so your response will appear after a short review.

Angioplasty.Org Home •  PatientCenter

send comments & suggestions to "info at angioplasty dot org"
Read our Privacy statement.

The Cardiology Patients' Forum
receives sole support from
reader contributions and sponsored search engine ads

Angioplasty.Org is an editorially independent informational health site
which has received unrestricted educational grants from
Medtronic, Inc., Toshiba America Medical Systems, Volcano Corporation, Terumo Medical Corporation,
Cardium Therapeutics, Inc. and Lenox Hill Heart and Vascular Institute of NY

For more information, see About Us
All content, including text, photos and video
©Copyright Venture Digital LLC 1996-2014