Patrick Hearn, Vanguard Medical Concepts, Inc., Florida, USA
Comments on restoration of used PTCA catheters to reduce inventory costs in your cath lab?

Add a Post to This Topic           Return to all Forum Topics

Current Postings:

• Hi I am a R&D engineer in medical device manufacturing plant and I am interested in this article (re-use the PTCA catheter). Could you please supply me the address of those cleaning companies or their procedures to do a trial test.
Siamak, HessMed, Toronto, August 26, 2005

• I agree to reuse some of the PTCA material -- only if that material is not damaged and if it is well resterilized, but I think that the main point should be "Are the manufacturers of these materials able to give better prices?" What is the gross margin for them? 100%, 200%, 1000%. I´m sure they can.
Carlos Gonzalez R., Richmond,B.C. Canada, 27 Aug 2001

• Acting as a medical clinic in Belgium, we also heard that there are a few labs in Germany that specialized in cleaning/sterilizing and packing the catheters in order to resell them to the customers. Please let me have any information to connect to these labs (also in other European countries). Thank you in advance.
Alex Mewis, Virga Jesse Hospital, Hasselt, BELGIUM, March 14, 2000

• Today the FDA called for more scrutiny of hospitals and companies involved in the recycling of medical devices (balloon and other catheters mentioned specifically) to meet the same standards as those of original equipment manufacturers.
Webmaster, PTCA.ORG, February 10, 2000

• For me...use a new one! Having been in the surgical sales arena for the past 22 years, I've heard too many ugly stories about failed equipment being the culprit for surgical problems. I'm slated for an angiogram tomorrow. If angioplasty proves to be necessary they do NOT have my permission to use a catheter that has been used previously...even if they/we save a couple of hundred dollars.
Christopher Lawson, Illinois, USA, January 31, 2000

• Are there any protocols for method of resterilization? Our hospital demands that plus any data on safety. I personally totally agree with potential for reuse. Is there a need to inform the patient whether resterilized equipment is being used?
Kazmi Khawar, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, PAKISTAN, September 9, 1999

• Medical devices are essentially tools utilized to solve or prevent a medical condition. Any workman who throws away usable tools because it is convenient is a luxury the medical business cannot afford. Using the best tools and taking care of them insures that the most important part in a successful procedure (the people) are optimized.
T. R. Browne, retired (& patient), USA, July 23, 1999

• In response to your request, it seems to me that the most important ingredient to a successfull use of a PTCA catheter is the skill and knowledge of the people involved in the procedure. Making available the best devices to the best people provides the highest likehood for a successful outcome. Since cost is a key ingredient in the management of a successful catheterization laboratory, it is only logical to optimize the cost by reducing waste. Wasting money on single use devices is comparable to discarding old money after it has been used once. The device or the money is a tool to be used not an end in itself.
T. R. Browne, retired (& patient), USA, July 7, 1999

• Acting as a medical clinic in Israel, we are looking for a system to lower the budget of our PTCA procedures. We have heard that there are a few labs in Germany that specialized in cleaning/sterilizing and packing the catheters in order to resell them to the customers. Please let me have any information to connect to these labs (also in other European countries). Thank you in advance.
Ariel Margalit, T.T.G. Ltd., ISRAEL, January 10, 1999

• Absolutely. We reuse every PTCA catheter, provided it keeps good form after using. In our countries is a good policy, economic and safe. We have not had any infectious complication because of this, and some balloons are used 3 or 4 times.
Sergio Mejía, Clínica Cardiovascular Santa María, COLOMBIA, September 12, 1998

• Comments on restoration of used PTCA catheters to reduce inventory costs in your cath lab?
Patrick Hearn, Vanguard Medical Concepts, Inc., Florida, USA, May 22, 1998

add your response
Please keep your posting concise. For readability we limit responses to 1,200 characters. Also note that The Forum is not an "ask-a-doctor" service; we do not dispense medical
advice about a patient's specific situation. Read our disclaimer and note that no information
on this Forum should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation
with a medical doctor
: characters left

Forum name -- how do you want to be identified on your post (Required) your email address (Required):
email address must be current and valid; if email sent to the address
below is returned, your comments will not be posted; your email address
will not be displayed on the Forum unless you specifically request it: please enter your email address again (for verification)
geographic location (city, state, province and/or country -- Required):
REQUIRED -- Check the box below to let us know you are a "real human being" and not a spambot. You must check this box for your posting to be submitted: I am a real person and not a spambot The following information is optional. your name:

your organization:
Check the box below if you wish Angioplasty.Org to "anonymize" your posting (for example, John Doe, Baltimore, Maryland, USA would become John D., Maryland, USA): please anonymize me To submit your post, please click the button below once and wait for a confirmation.
Clicking more than once will result in multiple submissions.

Please note the following disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is accurate to the best of the knowledge of Angioplasty.Org. None of this information should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation with a medical doctor. It is highly recommended that readers discuss any advice with a medical doctor before deciding on a course of action. Angioplasty.Org or its producers assume no liability for any actions taken as a result of information contained on this site, whether implied or expressed. Opinions and recommendations expressed on the FORUM are solely those of their authors. All submissions are reviewed and posted at the editors' discretion. FORUM submissions that are primarily commercial in nature, advertising services or products, are not posted. Any medical advice expressed on the FORUM does not necessarily represent the views of Angioplasty.Org, its producers, or of anyone associated with it, or of others appearing on this web site. Please note that this is a moderated discussion, so your response will appear after a short review.

Angioplasty.Org Home •  PatientCenter

send comments & suggestions to "info at angioplasty dot org"
Read our Privacy statement.

Angioplasty.Org is an editorially independent informational health site
which has received unrestricted educational grants from
Medtronic plc, TCROSS NEWS, Toshiba America Medical Systems, Volcano Corporation, Terumo Medical Corporation
Cardium Therapeutics, Inc. and Lenox Hill Heart and Vascular Institute of NY

For more information, see About Us
All content, including text, photos and video
©Copyright Venture Digital LLC 1996-2021