Bunches Of Clots After Stent

My mother developed systemic clots after stenting and died. What could have caused this?

Current Postings (3):

• Mary Ann: So sorry to hear your story. My husband's story is very similar to your mother's, except that he survived. He ended up having to have an emergency quad bypass. We were told he had an extensive network of collaterals when he suffered his first heart attack at 47. That's what must've kept him alive. His DES clotted within 2 days and they ended up inserting 4 more stents in the same artery to open it up. Two months later, he entered the hospital to open up his other blocked artery. At that time they realized his original 5 stents had clotted once again. His other 90% blockage was also fully blocked and his 30% blockage had increased to 80% blocked. In other words - he had a massive amount of clots, despite being on Plavix, aspirin, Lipitor, etc. He was having a heart attack at the time of his last angiogram and at the time of bypass surgery. He did experience an allergic reaction (hives, swollen lips) between his procedures (about 2 weeks after the stents were inserted). The doctors believe it was to the ace inhibitor that he was on. I'm concerned that he was allergic to the stents and that perhaps all of that clotting was due to inflammation in his arteries. If he does have an allergy to the stents and it is giving him hives and swelling on the outside, what would it be doing to him on the inside, to his arteries? Perhaps your mother was allergic to the stent or something in the procedure? My husband has gone from being a very active, athletic, "healthy-on-the-outside" person, to a man with a much lower energy level and limitations, since the insertion of those stents and then surgery. I am determined to get answers, too. Good luck to you!
SYP, New Hampshire, USA, February 2, 2007

• Mary Ann -- cannot say how sorry we are to read this story. We don't have an answer -- this is not a typical case, but somehow her platelets were activated and couldn't be controlled. We assume she was on heparin (a blood thinner) during the procedure. Do you know what kind of stents were used? Drug-eluting? Bare Metal? There is a risk of about 2 in 1,000 of death during an angioplasty. Once again, our sympathies. Any readers out there have any info?
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, January 31, 2007

• My mom started having pain in her arms last week. She went to her dr, had an EKG and everything looked ok, so he gave her some NSAID painkillers but they didn't work. She went in for a stress test today but couldn't run long enough to complete it so they sent her for an angiogram. They found one artery 100% blocked, one 99% blocked and one 90% blocked. They inserted stents into the last 2 and then took her to recovery. She got chest pains so they took her back into the procedure room. They tell me she developed "many" clots in "all of her coronary vessels" - even the ones they "never touched". They tried breaking them up with wires, giving all kinds of blood, etc, but despite everything, new clots kept forming. They couldn't get her blood pressure up for long enough even to allow her to have emergency open heart surgery. She died 6 hours ago at the age of 52. No one could explain to me why this happened?? Why did her body respond that way?? I just can't believe this has happened. It was just supposed to be a simple test and a simple fix according to the cardiologist and now my mother is dead. Can anyone give me any thoughts on why this happened?
Mary Ann Starr, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, January 26, 2007

The Cardiology Patient Forum needs your help...
Donate Now!

Click here for more information about these

add your response
Please keep your posting concise. For readability we limit responses to 1,200 characters. Also note that The Forum is not an "ask-a-doctor" service; we do not dispense medical
advice about a patient's specific situation. Read our disclaimer and note that no information
on this Forum should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation
with a medical doctor
: characters left

Forum name -- how do you want to be identified on your post (Required) your email address (Required):
email address must be current and valid; if email sent to the address
below is returned, your comments will not be posted; your email address
will not be displayed on the Forum unless you specifically request it: please enter your email address again (for verification)
geographic location (city, state, province and/or country -- Required):
REQUIRED -- Check the box below to let us know you are a "real human being" and not a spambot. You must check this box for your posting to be submitted: I am a real person and not a spambot The following information is optional. your name:

your organization:
Check the box below if you wish Angioplasty.Org to "anonymize" your posting (for example, John Doe, Baltimore, Maryland, USA would become John D., Maryland, USA): please anonymize me To submit your post, please click the button below once and wait for a confirmation.
Clicking more than once will result in multiple submissions.

Please note the following disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is accurate to the best of the knowledge of Angioplasty.Org. None of this information should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation with a medical doctor. It is highly recommended that readers discuss any advice with a medical doctor before deciding on a course of action. Angioplasty.Org or its producers assume no liability for any actions taken as a result of information contained on this site, whether implied or expressed. Opinions and recommendations expressed on the FORUM are solely those of their authors. All submissions are reviewed and posted at the editors' discretion. FORUM submissions that are primarily commercial in nature, advertising services or products, are not posted. Any medical advice expressed on the FORUM does not necessarily represent the views of Angioplasty.Org, its producers, or of anyone associated with it, or of others appearing on this web site. Please note that this is a moderated discussion, so your response will appear after a short review.

Angioplasty.Org Home •  PatientCenter

send comments & suggestions to "info at angioplasty dot org"
Read our Privacy statement.

The Cardiology Patients' Forum
receives sole support from
reader contributions and sponsored search engine ads

Angioplasty.Org is an editorially independent informational health site
which has received unrestricted educational grants from
Medtronic plc, TCROSS NEWS, Toshiba America Medical Systems, Volcano Corporation, Terumo Medical Corporation
Cardium Therapeutics, Inc. and Lenox Hill Heart and Vascular Institute of NY

For more information, see About Us
All content, including text, photos and video
©Copyright Venture Digital LLC 1996-2021