Angioplasty.Org
Most Popular Angioplasty Web Site

Ventricular or Atrial Septal Defect (VSD or ASD)

Email Bookmark and Share

Questions About Percutaneous (non-open-surgical) Repair of Ventricular or Atrial Septal Defect (VSD or ASD)

Add Your Comment           See More Topics

Patients Are Reading...
a stent Top Forum Chat: How Long Will a Stent Last?
Transradial Wrist Approach to Angioplasty Patient Guide: FAQ on Wrist Angioplasty
Activated Patient The Activated Patient Blog:
Our Blog for Patients
candy hearts Twitter: Follow us on Twitter @cardiopatient
Bike Race Patient Empowerment: Take Charge with Action Resources
Doctor and patient PatientCenter: Read and Learn about Heart Health

CT scan of heart
Like your local educational TV or radio station, our Forum relies on help from visitors like you. The grant funding we receive does not fully cover our costs; please consider making a recurring monthly contribution or a one-time donation.
Donate Now!

More from the Forum:
• Browse through existing topics on the Patient Forum
• Create a New Topic on the Patient Forum

Click here for more information about the following ads

Current Postings on This Page (8):

• Hello, I am having trouble finding blogs concerning adults that have just discovered that they have asd's and have actually had the surgery. Can someone help me? I have just been diagnosed having 2 ASD's and my doctor's are recommending by-pass surgery. I just want to speak with some people that have had the procedure.
MLA, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, April 9, 2009

• I have found a website that is used for treatment of atrial septal defect: http://doctorfinders.com/amplatzer.php
Jollivee, California, USA, February 5, 2009

• Hi, My mom aged 50 years has been diagnosed with a 14 mm ASD in the left ventricle. What are the available options to close this? Can this be done without open-heart surgery? What are the risks involved in all available options. Also, this has been diagnosed pretty recently though it must've been there for a long time period. Many Thanks.
Shilpi, Hyderabad, INDIA, July 30, 2006

• Yes ... Your site is proving to be a great help...I wish your entire team a grand success....in all your pursuits. Regards.
Tsbedi, INDIA, July 16, 2005

• Tsbedi -- here's a quick link to some information on percutaneous (with a catheter) repair of ASD. Also the Amplatzer is made by AGA and their website has information.
Angioplasty.Org Staff, Angioplasty.Org, July 16, 2005

• Sir This request is from the father of a 27 year old daughter, diagonosed very recently so late in life for a 42 mm ASD. Till last year She did not exhibit any symptoms of the defect. Other report listed says " Large Ost Secondum ASD, Inadequate rims : Superior 2 mm Inferior 7 mm Anterior 5 mm Posterior 2 mm, Dilated RA/RV/PA, MILD TR, PAH PASP = 44 max, L to R Shunt across ASD, QP:QS > 3:1, N LV size & fr, N Valion No other associated anomaly like VSD/PDA/MVA/PS .." and Inc RBBB, RAD Another report conducted at same heart center here in Noida near NDelhi, where we stay put the hole size at 37-39 mm.2 degree ASD, L - R flow RV 3.5 cm, with RA RV volume overload, 7 mm rim from TV & MV, Normal Pulminory verious drainage, Normal MV/TV/PV, No PS Pulm velocity 2 mts/sec, No PDA, Trivial Tr, RVSP 32 + 8 = 40 mm Normal R/L V function Being marriageable, she is scared of a scar For my unflinching faith in Almighty and the science of medical interventions HE has created alongside all other known and unknown bounties of life, I am sure there would be some treatment for closing a hole of a size between 36 to 42 mm as indicated without surgery and through an Amplatzev device or may be even through some other miraculous medicinal intake.. MY BELIEF IN GOD ASSURES ME HE OFFERS ALL KINDS OF SOLUTIONS THAT MEN JUST HAVE TO EXPLORE I am a sad father in search of help from humanity..Can you kindly guide me further...What to do, where to go, whom to approach My daughter has been my life line and inspiration like my son for else I needed nothing more and beyond any more from life.. I am sure a concered researcher can steer me out of trouble God bless you all and your teams Great regards
Tsbedi, INDIA, July 14, 2005

Hi, i am a clinical educator in a cath lab in Saudi Arabia and we deal with LOADS of VSD repairs. I am not sure if your daughter is having a surgical repair or a repair in a cath lab. Either way, it is safe and no matter how big the VSD is it will be sized by a heart scan and the appropriate sized patch or seal will be used. It is neccessary to repair because at the moment the blood in your daughters heart is mixing, and eventually the pressure will cause changes in the heart, when we seal it, all returns to normal , as it should be.
Andrina, PSCC, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 10 Feb 2002

My daughter has a hole in the heart vsd defect and severe pulmonary hypertension emphyzema----she's on digoxin and lasix. Please advice about how safe is it to seal the heart hole ---if her vsd defect hole is large than do you think the seal can work?
Rajeev Chaudhari, Rajeev Chaudhari Creations, Mumbai, Maharashtra, INDIA, 3 Feb 2002

add your response
Please keep your posting concise. For readability we limit responses to 1,200 characters. Also note that The Forum is not an "ask-a-doctor" service; we do not dispense medical
advice about a patient's specific situation. Read our disclaimer and note that no information
on this Forum should be viewed as a substitute for medical advice or as a consultation
with a medical doctor
: characters left

Forum name -- how do you want to be identified on your post (Required) your email address (Required):
email address must be current and valid; if email sent to the address
below is returned, your comments will not be posted; your email address
will not be displayed on the Forum unless you specifically request it: please enter your email address again (for verification)
geographic location (city, state, province and/or country -- Required):
REQUIRED -- Check the box below to let us know you are a "real human being" and not a spambot. You must check this box for your posting to be submitted: I am a real person and not a spambot The following information is optional. your name:

your organization:
Check the box below if you wish Angioplasty.Org to "anonymize" your posting (for example, John Doe, Baltimore, Maryland, USA would become John D., Maryland, USA): please anonymize me To submit your post, please click the button below once and wait for a confirmation.
Clicking more than once will result in multiple submissions.